Skip to main content

Health and Wellbeing


All School students may register for free National Health care with their local doctor (GP surgery). You may wish to register with one of the two local GP surgeries near to the School:

Gower Street Practice

20 Gower Street, London WC1E 6DP

Telephone: 020 7636 7628

Brunswick Medical Centre

39 Brunswick, London WC1N 1NF

Telephone: 020 7837 3811

Alternatively, search for your local doctor or dentist on the NHS Choices website.


Academic advice

Course tutors are responsible for guiding you through your degree and helping you with any personal or administrative problems. If this proves unsuitable, contact the School Registry or your Institute Manager who will be able to advise you on an alternative.

Personal safety

London is one of the most interesting and vibrant capital cities in the world; it is also one of the safest. However, as in any large, busy city, crime is a problem so you do need to take care about personal safety and looking after your belongings.


All students can access an initial 6 hours of counselling funded by the School, this is a confidential service which is provided on site at Senate House. Please contact the Disability & Student Wellbeing Adviser in the first instance.

Our Disability & Student Wellbeing Adviser provides a safe, confidential and non-judgmental space in which students can discuss any issues that may be affecting your ability to study. This encompasses: any personal or emotional challenges you may be experiencing; mental health such as anxiety or depression or disability such as dyslexia or a long-term health condition. 

To arrange an appointment or for advice please contact the Disability & Student Wellbeing Adviser, Katie Wood at

Our Disability & Student Wellbeing Adviser does not offer emergency support.

If you are feeling distressed and need urgent support:

  • Contact your GP surgery to request an emergency appointment
  • If your GP surgery isn't open, call the free NHS out-of-hours medical line on 111 and they will help you access the right services
  • You can call the Samaritans on 116 123 to talk to someone at any time, day or night
  • Nightline are available overnight and can help students across London, call them on +44 (0) 207 631 0101

If you are in immediate danger of hurting yourself or others:

  • Go directly to the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital to get help
  • University College Hospital is the nearest A&E department to the SAS buildings
  • Call 999 to request an ambulance if you are unable to reach the hospital yourself

Managing Anxiety

University compare have provided a guide for University Students (in halls) on understanding and managing anxiety:

Students may also find the following contact numbers useful:

General welfare advice

  • Nightline (18:00-08:00): T: +44 (0)20 7631 0101

Legal advice

Advice on mental health issues

Advice on debt