The School of Advanced Study welcomes applications from international students. Around one third of our students come from outside the UK, creating a stimulating and supportive environment for postgraduate study. 

Fee Status Classification

The classification of a student as ‘Home’ or ‘Overseas’ for fees purposes is based on residence in the UK or, for EU nationals, in a member state of the European Economic Area (EEA). Generally any student who has not been ordinarily resident in the UK or, in the case of EU nationals, in an EEA country for at least three years immediately preceding 1 October, or who has been resident primarily for full-time education, will be classified as ‘Overseas’ for fees purposes. Where three-year residence is a requirement, the applicant must normally also have ‘settled status’ i.e. the right of abode in the UK with no restrictions. If you are in doubt, please discuss this with the Registry.

Potential applicants should be aware of the impact of the Government’s new Points Based visa system on their application. The University of London has been licensed to offer certificates to potential students but this does not provide any guarantee of gaining entry clearance. Students should also note that they will be required to provide evidence of their ability to pay their fee and maintain themselves whilst in the UK.

Please note that it will be unlikely that nationals requiring a visa will be able to obtain a visa for part-time master’s degrees as these do not comply with the Immigration Department regulations.

For further information on visas and immigration visit the UK Home Office website.

Tier 4 Student Visa applications

Overseas (non-EU) students requiring a visa for more than six months need to apply for a student visa under Tier 4 of the UK Home Office’s Points Based System. In order to make an application, students will need to be sponsored by the School of Advanced Study (which has Tier 4 sponsor status) and issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). CASs are issued by the School’s Registry Office.

In order for the Registry to issue a CAS, you must have received and formally accepted an offer of a place, met any conditions of that offer, paid a visa administration charge and any course deposit as required. Following receipt of the latter, the School’s Registry will issue you with a CAS when you are ready to submit your visa application.  You can apply for a visa up to 3 months prior to your intended date of travel and we recommend that you initiate the visa process as early as possible.  You should contact the Registry Office at least two weeks before you intend to make your visa application to request your CAS.

You are encouraged to read the Tier 4 Guidance for the most up to date requirements on the amount of money and the evidence required to make a visa application.  Please be aware that the specified amounts of funds need to have been held in a bank account (not in trust, stocks or bonds) for 28 days before the application is made.  You will need to show evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your full tuition fee and living expenses for the duration of your course.

For detailed information on the student visa application process, visit the UK Home Office website

Helpful information is also provided on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website

Applying for a Tier 4 Student Visa [PDF]