Consortium of Institutes of Advanced Study
The Consortium of Institutes of Advanced Study aims to enhance the visibility of research institutes in the UK, Ireland and abroad.
The Consortium of Institutes of Advanced Study (CIAS) comprises 21 research institutes based within universities in Great Britain and Ireland.
CIAS and its member institutes take an active role in promoting multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary research at doctoral level and beyond, and offer an organisational structure and programme to foster these aims. It participates actively as an expert body in the formation of government and research council research policies, and is committed to enhancing public understanding of academic activity.
Aims and remit
CIAS promotes disciplinary innovation and builds research capacity across disciplinary boundaries, while encouraging creative collaborative activities of a multi-, inter-, or post-disciplinary kind. It shares resources and expertise publicising conferences, seminars and workshops across the group.
CIAS takes a lead on collaboration between humanities, social and natural sciences including medicine and technology. It develops proposals for collaborative and team research projects within and between Institutes, and facilitates collaboration in relation to visiting fellows, seminars, conferences, and shared research themes.
CIAS acts as a national reference group in development of future policy and works jointly to ensure effective networking and lobbying on shared matters of concern. It boosts the national and international visibility of the best current research in UK and Irish Higher Education Institutions.
Members and affiliates
- ArtsLab, University of Glasgow
- King’s College Arts and Humanities Research Institute
- Centre for Advanced Studies, University of Nottingham
- Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH), University of Cambridge
- Humanities and Arts Research Centre (HARC), Royal Holloway University of London
- UCD Humanities Institute
- Humanities Research Centre, University of York
- Humanities Research Institute, University of Sheffield
- The Institute of Advanced Studies, University of Birmingham
- Leicester Institute of Advanced Study
- Institute of Advanced Studies, University of Surrey
- Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities, University of Edinburgh
- Institute of Advanced Study, Durham University
- Institute of Advanced Studies, Loughborough University
- Institute of Advanced Study, University of Warwick
- Institute of Design Innovation, Glasgow School of Art
- Leeds Arts and Humanities Research Institute (LAHRI), University of Leeds
- Newcastle University Humanities Research Institute (NUHRI), Newcastle University
- The Oxford Research Centre in the Humanities (TORCH)
- School of Advanced Study, University of London
- Queen Mary University of London
CIAS is affiliated to CHCI (the Consortium of Humanities Centers and Institutes). Established in 1988, CHCI serves as a site for the discussion of issues germane to the fostering of crossdisciplinary activity and as a network for the circulation of information and the sharing of resources within the humanities and interpretive social sciences. CHCI has a membership of over 150 centers and institutes that are remarkably diverse in size and scope and are located throughout the world.
CIAS is administered from the School of Advanced Study:
School of Advanced Study
London WC1E 7HU
T: 0207 862 8651