Skip to main content

Visiting London

The following information may be of interest to SAS visitors coming to London:


We are unable to help visitors find accommodation. However, there are a number of websites for finding short and long-term accommodation:

Cost of living

Getting a visa

Childcare and schools


Childcare places can be difficult to find in central London, so enquire early.


  • Get information about Schools on GOV.UK
  • Overseas visitors should note that state-funded UK schools are for UK residents only, and a special visa is needed for students to attend such schools. Visitors should contact the UK Border Agency before enrolling children in state funded schools to avoid immigration issues.


Local residents and students of the University may register with the Gower Street Practice, which is very close to Senate House.

The National Health Service (NHS) has a non-emergency number - NHS 111 - available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

Getting around London and beyond

Transport for London has a tube map and a useful Journey Planner tool to help find out how to get from one part of London to another. The best way of getting around London via tube and bus is to buy an Oyster card (£3 refundable) and either buy pre-pay credit or a travelcard (daily, weekly, monthly, annual).

For travel further afield, is a useful site for finding out train times and the duration of travel between two destinations as well as for buying tickets online.

Library access

Senate House Library - as a visitor to the Institute you will be eligible for a free library card.