James Manor Bursary Scheme
Professor James Manor has been long associated with the Institute of Commonwealth Studies and had a pivotal role in founding the MA in Understanding and Securing Human Rights; we are honoured to be offering this bursary, which has been awarded since 2013-14, in recognition of his distinguished career.
Up to four bursaries, equal to up to 50% of the applicable tuition fee, will be available for students commencing study in October 2016 on the MA in Understanding and Securing Human Rights. Part-time students are eligible for this award, although the award is not automatically granted for each year of study, and awardees will need to re-apply for the award prior to their second year. The same deadline will be applicable to part-time students applying and/or re-applying for the award.
Bursaries will be awarded on a competitive basis according to the academic potential of the applicants, with preference given to those students who would otherwise be unable to study for financial reasons. The scheme is open to home (UK), EU or overseas fee-paying students. Applications for bursaries will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- The excellence of the applicant’s previous academic or human rights practitioner experience
- The extent to which the applicant’s presence on the degree is likely to enhance the learning experience of other students, either through the applicant’s academic ability or through his/her practical experience
- The quality of the applicant’s sample essay (or other written work) that forms part of the application
- The extent to which the applicant makes a specific, rather than general, case for financial support
- The relevance of the applicant’s personal statement to the objectives and learning outcomes of the degree programme
In order to apply, prospective students must have already been offered and accepted a place on the degree programme. Once this offer of a place has been confirmed, prospective students should complete an application form (below).
The closing date for applications for students commencing the MA in academic year 2016/2017 is 9am on Monday 02 May 2016. Applications received after this date may not be considered.
Application form [Word]